Friday, October 10, 2008

Revised College Essay

Bishop Verot vs. Fort Myers. Arch rivals. The gym is packed with adorned fans cheering and screaming for their respective teams. Intense competition fills the air and the pressure to win this volleyball game is overbearing. I have been looking forward to this game all season. The level of skill, intensity, and excitement present brings out the best in all of the players, including myself. After working tirelessly for countless weeks to improve my game and knowing that I have been mentally preparing myself for this match all season, I am ready to play my heart out and leave it all out on the court.

As the first whistle blows, butterflies fill my stomach, but quickly disappear when I touch the ball. My adrenaline immediately kicks in and I think of nothing, only winning. I do everything in my power to help out my team and to win each point, giving it my all through the entire game. Hoping for a kill each time, I hit the ball as hard as I can. Diving to the floor, I try to save every attempted kill. I serve with accuracy and precision, hoping for an ace. Deep breaths help me to stay focused on the game and disregard any distractions. In the midst of my own chaos, I motivate those around me to do their best.

After losing the first game, our spirits are low, but we keep on pushing. We didn’t work this hard to give it all up or throw it all away. When making two or three mistakes in a row, it is hard to pick yourself back up and forget about the previous plays. I often dwell on my mistakes which frequently leads me to make more errors during the game. However, I work hard to keep these emotions on the inside, so that I do not bring my teammates down. One of my goals is to consistently encourage those around me and to self-motivate.

My team pulls together and Bishop Verot takes the second and fourth game, while Fort Myers wins the third game. All tied up, almost as if it was zero-zero all over again. The hard work, extra practice, and emotional energy put into this game are on the line. Because the fifth game is shorter, every single point is crucial. Butterflies fill my stomach again as the pressure and intensity builds up. The fear of making a mistake fills my head. I push out these feelings, focus in on the game, and leave everything I have out on the court.

The game is over; Bishop Verot defeated Fort Myers. Joy, happiness, and a sense of accomplishment cascade over me. I believe this feeling of success is one of the best a person can feel, especially when one has achieved a goal that was close to their heart.

My dedication, determination, heart, and work ethic extend beyond the volleyball court into my everyday life. Just as my heart was in that volleyball game, my heart is in the University of Florida. When I put my mind to something, I commit fully, never stopping or giving up till it’s complete. I am prepared to work hard in all of my studies and find a balance with all my other activities. As I did on the court with my teammates, I will motivate those around me to always do their best. I am ready to give all of myself to the Gator community. Just like I fought for each point, I am going to lay it all out, give it my all, work hard, and never give up. Despite the many obstacles, pressures, or distractions, I will stay focused on what is important. I truly believe that by becoming a part of the Gator Nation, I will be given several opportunities to succeed and feel that same sense of accomplishment I felt before.

1 comment:

APLITghosts said...

score equals 100 percent. You have your extra credit too. Thank you. - elmeer